This Privacy Statement describes how we collect, use, and process your personal information, and how, in doing so, we comply with our legal obligations to you. Your privacy is important to us, and we are committed to protecting and safeguarding your data privacy rights.
This Privacy Statement is not intended to replace, alter or modify terms in any existing license agreement between A.M. Best Company and/or its subsidiaries (collectively “A.M. Best”) and a Licensee of products or services. In the event of an inconsistency between this privacy statement and an existing agreement, the license agreement shall control unless specific written permission is obtained from A.M. Best.
The A.M. Best Websites (the “Website”) also contain links to other sites. Please be aware that A.M. Best is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave this Website and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information. This Privacy Statement applies solely to information collected by this Website.
Though we make every effort to preserve your privacy, we may need to disclose personal information to third parties under certain circumstances discussed below or when required by law to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process served on our Website.
What Information We Collect
A.M. Best collects a limited amount of data from our Website users which we use to help us improve your experience when using our Website and to help us manage the services we provide. This includes information such as how you use our Website and the frequency with which you access our Website.
A.M. Best is the sole owner of any personal information collected on the Website and that information is collected from you at a variety of different locations on the Website. All information collected is kept confidential and will not be disclosed to third parties unless otherwise specified in this Privacy Statement and as may be required by law.
The information that we collect includes the following:
- Demographic/Profile Information: You may be required to register to access certain pages of the Website, with mandatory completion of fields dependent upon the content being accessed. General contact information and preferences you provide will be retained as part of your customer record. You may also be asked to provide demographic and profile data during your visit to the Website, such as a mailing address or company name. While a large portion of the Website is accessible to all visitors, other portions require a user to complete a registration form for access to additional content. During registration, a user is required to provide a minimum amount of contact information (such as name and email address), along with unique identifiers (such as username and password). Your compliance with this type of request is voluntary; however, access to certain proprietary information may be restricted if you decline to provide the requested information.
- eCommerce Information: A user must provide contact information (such as name, email, and shipping address) and financial information (such as credit card number, expiration date) in order to make purchases on our Website.
- Other Information: We also collect and record the following information about users of our Website:
- the browser type and operating system being used by our visitors;
- areas of the sites visited;
- date and time of access;
- host or internet service provider (“ISP”) information;
- identification of the referring site;
- users' internet protocol (“IP”) addresses; and
- platform type; and
- number of clicks.
How We Use The Information
- Demographic/Profile Information: Any demographic or profile information that you provide will be used to tailor your online experience on the Website, suggest information that you might be interested in, and display content according to your preferences. We may also contact you about services on the Website for which you have expressed interest. Personal information is used to contact you when necessary; however, as discussed further below, you may opt-out of receiving future mailings. If you supply your telephone number on-line, you may receive telephone calls with information regarding orders you have placed on-line, new products and services, or upcoming events. Unless we expressly notify you (such as when registering for a Webinar), we will not share your demographic or profile information with third parties. Please be aware, however, that we do share aggregated demographic information with our partners and advertisers on an as needed basis.
- eCommerce Information: Any billing or financial information that you provide is used for billing purposes only and to fill customer orders. If we have trouble processing an order, the information is used to contact the user.
- Other Information: Information concerning visitors' use of our Website is collected for a variety of purposes, including: to track the total number of guests visiting the site; guide efforts to improve the site; analyze trends; administer the site; track users' movement in the aggregate; and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
How Long Do We Store The Information?
A.M. Best retains your information for as long as necessary to provide you with any services you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our legal/contractual rights.
How We Transfer Information Internationally
A.M. Best is a global company. In order to provide you with the best service and to carry out the purposes described in this Privacy Statement, please be aware that your personal information may be processed and/or transferred between or among:
- A.M. Best entities;
- Third parties; and
- Cloud-based storage providers,
that are located in the United States, the European Economic Area (“EEA”), and other countries.
In the event that EEA data is transferred outside the EEA, we are required to ensure that such transfers take place using certain legal mechanisms. We will, therefore, only transfer EEA data outside of the EEA if:
- There is a data transfer agreement between A.M. Best and the recipient, incorporating the current standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission for the transfer of personal data by data controllers in the EEA to data controllers and processors in jurisdictions without adequate data protection laws; or
- The recipient has signed on to the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework for the transfer of personal data from entities in the EU to entities in the United States of America or any equivalent agreement in respect of other jurisdictions; or
- The European Commission has made a finding of adequacy with respect to the recipient country's levels of data protection; or
- The transfer is necessary for the conclusion or performance of a contract between ourselves and a third party and the transfer is in your interests for the purposes of that contract; or
- You have consented to the data transfer outside of the EEA.
To ensure that your personal information receives an adequate level of protection, we have put in place appropriate procedures with the third parties we share your personal data with to ensure that your personal information is treated by those third parties in a way that is consistent with and which respects the law on data protection.
The security of your personal information is important to us. A.M. Best follows generally accepted standards to store and protect any personal information you provide us, both during transmission and once received and stored. Some of the safeguards we use include data encryption of any sensitive information you submit (such as a credit card number) and physical access controls to our data centers.
Please review our Security page for more information regarding disaster recovery, business continuity and information security.
As noted above, we may periodically send you information that we think you may find interesting. In particular, we may use your personal data for the following marketing activities:
- Special Offers and Updates : You may occasionally receive information on products, services, special deals, etc. In line with our Privacy Statement, you have the option to not receive these types of communications. Please see the Opt-out section, below.
- Newsletters and Announcements: If you wish to subscribe to any of the A.M. Best e-mail newsletters, we ask for contact information such as name and email address. Additionally, we will notify you when new editions of our online publications such as BestWeek or Best's Review are posted. You have the option to not receive these types of communications. Please see the Opt-out section, below.
- Surveys : The Website provides a number of areas for providing us with feedback, including an on-line survey. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary and you, therefore, have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. The requested information typically includes contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as zip code). Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring and improving user satisfaction with this site.
- Customer Service : We communicate with users of our Website on a regular basis to provide requested services and to address issues relating to their account. We generally reply to customer service inquiries via email or phone, in accordance with the user's wishes.
Access To Your Information & Your Rights
Even if we already hold your personal information, you still have various rights in relation to it, including the following:
- The Right to Object Or Opt-Out: You have the right to object to our processing of your personal information under certain circumstances. For example, if we are using your personal information because we deem it necessary for our legitimate interests to do so, and you do not agree, you have the right to object. We will respond to your request within 30 days (although we may be allowed to extend this period in certain cases). Generally, after receiving an objection, we will cease processing your information unless we have compelling legitimate grounds to continue processing it, or where the information is needed for legal reasons.
Where we use your data for marketing purposes (e.g., our newsletter and promotional communications), you may opt-out of receiving these communications by clicking the “unsubscribe” link that typically appears at the bottom of our emails. Users may also choose to opt-out of Promotional or Webinar related emails, from the “My Account” profile update screen. You have the right to opt-out at any time.
- The Right to Access, Update or Modify Your Personal Information: You have the right to ask us to confirm what information we hold about you at any time. We will provide you with a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly-used and machine-readable format upon your request.
You also have the right to ask us to modify or update your personal information if it is incorrect or incomplete.
For example, if your personally identifiable information changes (such as zip code, phone, email or postal address), you may correct or update your information through your “My Account” page or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If we have shared your personal information with any third parties, we will notify them about any changes, unless it is impossible to do so or requires disproportionate effort. Where appropriate, we will also tell you which third parties we have disclosed the inaccurate or incomplete personal data to. Where we think that it is reasonable for us not to comply with your request, we will explain our reasons for the decision.
- The Right to Delete Your Personal Information: You may also ask us to delete your personal information. Your right to deletion is determined by applicable law and may impact your access to some of the services on our site. Depending on which laws apply to your personal information, we may refuse your request for deletion. Under those circumstances, we will explain your legal rights, the basis for our refusal, and any recourse you may have.
- The Right to Lodge a Complaint with a Supervisory Authority: If you believe we maintain your personal data subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), you may direct questions or complaints to our lead supervisory authority, the UK's Information Commissioner's Office, as noted below:
Information Commissioner's Office:
Phone: 0303 123 1113
Address: Wycliffe House
How To Contact Us
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about this Privacy Statement or our services, please contact us at Privacy@ambest.com, or write to us at the following address:
Oldwick, NJ 08858
Last Reviewed May 23, 2018