The A.M. Best Company Chronology of Events
1899 - December 14th
- Alfred Magilton Best incorporated the Alfred M. Best Company, Inc. in New York, New York, with an office at the Fahys Building on 29 Liberty Street.
- Introduced the flagship publication Best's Insurance Reports®, currently available in three editions: Property/Casualty-US & Canada, Life/Health-US & Canada, and Non-US.
- Introduced a monthly supplement to Best's Insurance Reports, now known as monthly news magazine Best's Review®.
- Introduced the first list of ratings of property and casualty insurance companies.
- Published first-hand reports on the losses of fire insurance companies involved in the San Francisco Earthquake and Conflagration of 1906.
- Relocated to the Woodbridge Building at 100 William Street in New York, New York, after a series of moves due to expansion. This would remain the headquarters for fourteen years.
- Purchased and relocated to the former Wilson Building at 75 Fulton Street in New York, New York. This would remain the company's headquarters for forty-five years.
- Introduced the first ratings of life insurance companies in a new life insurance edition of Best's Key Rating Guide®.
- Introduced the benchmarking and strategic planning tool now known as Best's Aggregates & Averages. Currently available in Property/Casualty-US & Canada and Life/Health-US & Canada editions.
- Published the special report "The War and the Financial Position of the Foreign Insurance Companies Entered in the United States."
- Introduced the weekly news service now known as BestWeek®, currently available in three regional editions: Americas, Europe and MENA, and Asia-Pacific.
- Alfred Magilton Best passed away in Manhattan at the age of 81.
- Alfred M. Best named Insurance Man of the Year by the Federation of Insurance Counsel.
- Introduced market share reports now known as Best's State/Line Reports. Currently available in Property/Casualty-US and Life/Health-US editions.
- Incorporated in New Jersey and relocated to the former Farmers & Consumers Dairy Building in Morristown, New Jersey.
- The Alfred M. Best Company, Inc. was renamed A.M. Best Company, Inc.
- Introduced risk management resource Best's Loss Control Manual.
- Acquired the Avogardo Farm in Oldwick, New Jersey, current site of the 250,000 square foot world headquarters.
- Introduced risk manangement resource Best's Underwriting Guide.
- Introduced our first comprehensive online database, now known as BestLink®.
- Introduced detailed company reports, now known as AMB Credit Reports. Currently available in two editions: Consumer and Insurance Professional.
- Introduced regulatory financial statement preparation software BestESP® Services, currently available for the US and the UK.
- Introduced the analytical tool now known as Best's State/Line, currently available for three industry segments: Property/Casualty-US, Life-US, and Accident & Health-US.
- Introduced composite statement data, now known as Best's Statement File. Currently available for seven regions: US, Canada, UK, Global, Latin America, MENA, and Asia-Pacific.
- Introduced real-time online news service BestWire®.
- Held our first annual Review & Preview conference.
- Celebrated the 100-year anniversary of the A.M. Best Company.
- Established Hong Kong-based subsidiary A.M. Best Asia-Pacific Limited.
- Introduced the program now known as BestMark. Currently available for Secure Rated Insurers, and for Recommended Insurance Attorneys, Adjusters, and Expert Service Providers.
- Introduced daily online news digest BestDay®.
- Introduced the company-tracking system now known as BestAlert® Service.
- Held the first annual conference now known as Insurance Market Briefing-Europe, with events in Cologne, Paris and London.
- Held the first annual Insurance Marketing & Advertising Summit (IMAS) in New York City.
- Produced our first insurance industry video programming, now known as A.M.BestTV.
- Introduced Best's Stock Indexes for rated insurance companies.